Research scientist within protein science to AstraZeneca
Modis Life Science is now looking for a research scientist within protein science to AstraZeneca in Gothenburg. This is a consultancy assignment and you will be hired as a consultant by Modis. This assignment is planned to start in February for initially 6 months. Send your application no later than February 1st.
At AstraZeneca, innovation is more than just research. As one of the world´s leading pharmaceutical companies, we´re focused on providing medicines that make a real difference in patient care. AstraZeneca R&D Gothenburg is a great place to work where you can help us continue to lead the industry in research and development. It has an entrepreneurial and collaborative culture, where you´ll feel valued, energised and rewarded for your ideas and contributions. It is a place where talented people can immerse themselves in their work and make significant contributions towards scientific excellence.
You will join the Discovery Sciences organization, working within a vibrant scientific environment to support drug discovery. The Discovery Biology department of Discovery Sciences is responsible for the generation of novel reagents and assays to support projects in the IMED (Innovative Medicines and Early development) in all phases of the drug discovery pipeline, from target discovery all the way to clinical candidate. The IMED focuses on scientific advances in small molecules, oligonucleotides and other emerging technologies and drug discovery platforms across our different core areas.
As a Research Scientist in the Biochemical Reagents team in Discovery Biology you will be responsible for producing and characterising recombinant proteins which represent disease targets for all small molecule drug discovery projects in the IMED, with a focus on Cardiovascular and Metabolic Disease (CVMD) and Respiratory, Inflammation and Autoimmunity (RIA) projects. Proteins are utilised for the development of biochemical assays for compound screening, structural/biophysical assays to characterise protein ligand interactions and to develop oligonucleotide drugs.
There is an exciting opportunity for a talented and motivated individual to join the group in a lab-based role. The successful individual will be a key member of the team, contributing to and leading protein generation activities for a diverse range of projects across several disease areas and AstraZeneca sites globally. This is a temporary position, lasting for 6 months.
Main Duties and Responsibilities
• To be a lab-based protein scientist, delivering recombinant proteins to support our projects
- To provide expertise in the area of recombinant protein expression purification and characterisation.
- To work in partnership with colleagues in Discovery Sciences and across therapy areas and sites to ensure the delivery of high-quality protein reagents to projects.
- To deliver according to plans over agreed timelines such that the objectives of the project are met, including delivery of more than one agreed area of work in parallel where appropriate.
- To be an effective member of Drug Discovery Project Teams, contributing novel ideas and using judgment and knowledge where appropriate to influence the work of the project.
- To maintain an awareness of current developments in the literature and contribute to the continuous improvement process by identifying opportunities in the workplace where improvements can be made.
• BSc/MSc degree in biochemistry with significant relevant experience, preferably in the pharmaceutical or biotechnology industry.
- Expertise in the area of Protein Science through a demonstrable knowledge of construct design, molecular biology, protein expression, purification, characterisation and structure function.
- A practical understanding of a wide range of methods and technologies as applied to the expression, purification and characterisation of recombinant proteins. For example, bacterial expression, liquid chromatography.
- Good problem-solving skills, good scientific judgement and communication skills.
- Excellent team working and networking skills with experience of interacting effectively across teams
• PhD in biochemistry
- Experience of parallel purification
- Experience of purification of proteins from native sources.
Dela detta jobb